Source Equipment

Orbit arm - improving an RB301 arm.

By dave on January 3, 2016

After many other upgrades, finally the time came for the arm to be upgraded. Reading on the forums, ISOKinetik and DIY site Audio Mods there’s no end of information and examples of how to modify Rega arms. Here I try and provide the path that I took, which led me to a successful arm that I’m pretty happy with. This guide deals specifically with the RB301 arm, it may be applicable to other arms as well.

HI-FI Collective cable kit 6

By dave on January 2, 2016

Some time ago I built interconnect cable kit #6 from HI-FI Collective. It's been in my system now for some time and has been used in quite a few situations. Firstly, it's been used to connect an Arcam rDAC to my Roksan K2, secondly, it's been used to connect my Cambridge Audio 752BD to my Arcam AVR380 and lastly at the moment it's being used to connect my Project Tubebox IIse phono stage to the Roksan.

Orbit, a high performance DIY turntable.

By dave on January 2, 2016

Orbit is a high performance DIY turntable based on Rega 24V decks. It’s very easy to make using a moderately well stocked home workshop. In my opinion it competes well with decks costing a lot more than its sum of parts. It uses a fairly conventional design so that it is easy to fit the original Rega lid back onto it, this is important as a lid protects the fragile┬ástylus when not in use and prevents dust reaching the deck.

Things learnt from building the first turntable.

By dave on January 2, 2016

Although my first turntable prototype worked quite well, it had a few issues, each of these is looked at here: The area under the platter was too thin, and tended to concentrate vibration around the platter main bearing sleeve. This was fixed by brute force to avoid vibration in the first place (a very large granite / MDF block below the plinth). The positioning of the motor and circuit led to some noise, and only earthing to motor prevented it.

Turntable building - the history

By dave on January 2, 2016

Before my most recent turntable build, I had tried a couple of earlier designs. The first of which was a Rega deck with a couple of IsoKinetik modifications. I’ve gone a long long way since this, but I keep it here for historic purposes. Starting out with a P3-24 deck. My deck started life as a refurbished P3-24 unit, with no mods made to it. Firstly, after much reading I purchased the TT motor control unit; which is available from many retailers at reasonable cost.

We use cookies to analyse traffic and to personalise content and adverts. Our social buttons may also use cookies.